Saturday, September 18, 2010

You of little faith; why did you doubt?

This is the question that Jesus asked Peter when he had taken a few steps on the water, glimpsed the waves, and began to sink (Matthew 14:30, 31). How many times do I think I am trusting God, walking by faith, only to begin looking at my circumstances instead of Him. In that moment, I too begin to sink, doubting that God really knows what He's doing. Will He catch me when I start to doubt again?

We are in the process of buying our first house. A fixer-upper; a foreclosure. First, we were to close in mid-September. Then September 30th. Now mid-October. The bank sure does like to drag things out. We started looking for our home when I was 5 months pregnant. And now I am wondering if we'll be signing closing papers while I'm labor with our third child! (Due October 15) But this has been a good lesson for me. A lesson in faith. And lesson in contentment. I've had to give up the control of my life to God (I've always been a bit of a control freak!). This time in our life has been reminding me that His ways are higher than ours. And that His timing is always perfect. I have a lot to learn still. But I'm just beginning to grasp more and more that God has everything figured out, so I might as well enjoy the ride.

But in my moments of doubt, when I, like Peter scream, "Lord, save me!" it is a comfort to know that he will "immediately reach out his hand and catch me" (Matthew 14:31)

1 comment:

the babies mamma said...

Thanks for the reminder Tara. I need it!